Customer Success teams have added a lot more responsibility: onboarding, adoption, improving the customer experience, value and revenue expansion, advising, managing advocacy, and helping presales and post-sales teams. And as a result, they are becoming skilled in their product and experts in customers’ domains, to the extent that customers willingly pay a premium for 1:1 customer success.
Customer Success focuses on increasing customer retention and growing revenues. It also eliminates churn through value attainment, which continues to be a number one priority of CSMs.
Anita Toth has been focusing on crushing churn for a while now.
She just published a guide where she shares how brands Apple, Slack, Amazon, Simplii, Calendly, Teespring, Hugo, and Starbucks leverage parts of the customer journey to increase customer retention.
Customer Retention Tips from brands we love
Lead Generation Stage Retention Tip
Know your ideal customers so well that your marketing and sales will easily attract them.
Research who your ideal customers are:
- What they want
- What they believe.
- What they value.
- What they desire.
Then create your marketing and tailor your sales assets around those.
👉 (See the examples from Apple by downloading the guide below.)
Conversion Stage Retention Tips
- Welcome new customers.
- Offer helpful resources.
- Assure them they made the right decision when they purchased.
👉 (See the examples from Amazon by downloading the guide below.)
Onboarding Stage Retention Tips
- Keep onboarding simple.
- Offer enhanced support like FAQs, knowledge base, webinars, and a community.
- Keep metrics on user adoption.
- Have playbooks to help your customers if they get stuck during onboarding.
👉 (See the examples from Slack by downloading the guide below.)
Retention Stage Tips
- Look for opportunities to provide more value to your customers.
- Stay in contact with communications that are meaningful to them.
- Listen to your customers.
👉 (See the examples from Calendly, Simplii, Hugo by downloading the guide below.)
Wandering Eye & Test Drive Stage Retention Tips
Send in-app messages or emails that try to get customers to engage by
- Offering an enticing discount.
- Asking customers for 10 minutes for a quick call.
- Showing customers the value of your product and what they would miss if they left.
👉 (See the examples from Starbucks and Teespring by downloading the guide below.)